Summer Camp at Home – Virtual
Camp Discovery comes to you with our summer 2021 virtual camps.
Creature Features and Dino Days of Summer are 3-hour single-day camps hosted through Zoom for campers entering Kindergarten through 2nd grades. For campers entering 3rd through 5th grades, join us for a 3-hour single-day Zoom camp themed around Space or STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art, and math). Also, back by popular demand is our Code Constructors virtual Zoom camp for campers entering 4th through 8th grades.
Please see descriptions below or our FAQs to learn more.
Can a parent or sibling join a registered camper?
Unfortunately, parents, and siblings cannot join a camper for Camp Discovery. If a sibling wishes to join Camp Discovery, they must be registered.
Is there a place where I can see camp descriptions?
Yes, here is where you can find Virtual camp descriptions: https://www.discoverycube.org/camp-discovery-at-home/.
Does my child have to be a specific age to attend camp?
Yes, all campers must be entering one of the grades described for their particular camp. For Summer Camp 2021, the grade level break-downs are:
|Camp Name||Entering Grades|
|Dino Days of Summer||K-2|
I registered for an on-site camp, now what?
Upon registration you will get an auto-generated confirmation email; you will not receive a ticket for camp. After that you will be getting reminders for camp from our education team (all emails will be coming from an address @discoverycube.org) that will outline supplies, Zoom link, and any needed information. Before camp, you will get a camp reminder. Please make sure to check your spam/junk folder for these emails.
Will I need to provide any supplies for my camper?
Yes, for virtual camps you will need to provide all the supplies. A list of supplies will be emailed out about a month prior to camp, and a reminder will be sent about a week prior.
When will get my link to camp?
You will receive your Zoom link for camp along with the reminder for the supplies you will need about one week prior to your camp. Please make sure to check your spam/junk folder for these emails.
Who are the camp counselors?
All Camp Discovery counselors are part of Discovery Cube’s team of Educators. All counselors go through mandatory First Aid and CPR training, in addition to logistical and content training.
What is the camper: counselor ratio?
Our camp groups are kept small with the maximum number of campers per counselor never exceeding 20.
What does the daily schedule look like?
Camp begins at 9:00 AM. There are normally two or three activities in the morning with a snack time around 10:30-10:45 AM. After snack, campers spend time either completing morning activities or doing two more activities before camp ending at 12:00 PM.
Am I able to receive a refund if I need to cancel?
Cancellation policy requires notification of cancellation 10 business days prior to the start date of your camp to receive a refund. A $10 booking fee will be deducted from all refunds. Failure to give the required notice of cancellation will result in no refund.
What if I need to change which camp my child is in?
Any changes to the camper’s enrollment must be completed 10 business days prior to the original start date. The first change will be made at no charge. Subsequent changes may be made but there will be a $10 rebooking charge for each additional change. All changes are subject to availability at the time of the request.
Creature Features (Entering Grades K-2)
If you love animals, then join us for our popular Creature Features camp. From mammals to creepy crawly critters, animal enthusiasts will have an opportunity to learn more about some of their favorite creatures. We invite you to splash, scurry, and slither over to explore animals found all over our planet. Take a walk on the wild side as you experience this fun and creative series of one-day camps.
|We Love Animals||Online||July 6||1 Day||9:00 AM - 12:00 PM|
|Online||July 20||1 Day||9:00 AM - 12:00 PM|
|Animal Ambassadors||Online||July 8||1 Day||9:00 AM - 12:00 PM|
|Online||July 22||1 Day||9:00 AM - 12:00 PM|
- Paper Plate (or paper cut into a circle)
- Plastic (or non-absorbent) plate
- Card Stock (or regular piece of paper)
- Hole Punch (optional)
- Glue (or glue stick)
- Coloring Supplies (Markers, crayons or colored pencils)
- 3 feet of string (yarn, thread, or shoe laces)
- Glitter Glue (optional)
- Cup of water
- Handful of Squirrel food (sunflower seeds, nuts, (any kind, but walnuts are the best. ) Bird feed also works.)
- Flying bird printout
- Magic Flowers.pdf printout
- Squirrel Puzzle.pdf Printout (printed on cardstock, or printed twice to make thicker)
- 2-3 Toilet paper cardboard tubes( or something similar)
- Tape (scotch tape, and/or masking tape)
- Coloring Supplies (Markers, crayons or colored pencils)
- Stickers (optional)
- Hole Punch (optional)
- 15-35 Popsicle sticks (toothpicks, craft sticks etc. can be used)
- 2 sets String (yarn, twine etc.)
- Paper Clip
- Dish (shallow and sturdy, that you are ok with having outside)
- Small Pebbles (marbles, beads etc. will work)
- 1 paper cup1 ( Any disposable cup will work)
- 1 cup ( does not have to be disposable)
- 2-3 Pieces of paper
Dino Days of Summer (Entering Grades K-2)
Let’s go back in time to the age of the dinosaurs! Join us as Camp Discovery explores what life was like for these giants who roamed the Earth. Experience the life of a paleontologist as you unearth the secrets of fossils or discover how we know what these “terrible lizards” ate for lunch. This dino-mite series of one-day camps will turn all campers into dinosaur enthusiasts.
|Dino Fun||Online||June 28||1 Day||9:00 AM - 12:00 PM|
|Online||July 12||1 Day||9:00 AM - 12:00 PM|
|Back In Time||Online||June 30||1 Day||9:00 AM - 12:00 PM|
|Online||July 14||1 Day||9:00 AM - 12:00 PM|
- Construction paper
- Plain white paper
- Model Magic or Playdoh
- Paper Plate (2)
- Pipe Cleaners (4)
Space Camp: Out of This World! (Entering Grades 3-5)
Prepare for an adventure exploring space! This camp will take you out-of-this-world as you learn all about our solar system and beyond. Try on your engineering cap as you create a model rocket for take-off or a lander to help you safely touch down on another world. Experience what it might be like to live on Mars or get a close-up look at the Sun. In collaboration with NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory, the Discovery Cube has designed a series of exciting one-day camps perfect for every budding astronaut. 3…2…1…blastoff!
|Code the Solar System||Online||July 5||1 Day||9:00 AM - 12:00 PM|
|Online||July 19||1 Day||9:00 AM - 12:00 PM|
|Beyond the Solar System||Online||July 7||1 Day||9:00 AM - 12:00 PM|
|Online||July 21||1 Day||9:00 AM - 12:00 PM|
- Coloring supplies (markers, colored pencils, crayons, etc.)
- Pen or pencil
- Small paper plates
- Pipe cleaners
- Small piece of styrofoam or cardboard (or something that will help your telescope stand up)
- A straw (any size and material)
- Straw Rocket Template.pdf (print out)
- 3-5 pieces of scratch paper (any type of paper)
- Empty toilet paper tube (or similar material)
- Small sandwich bag
- Rubber band
- Postcard Template.pdf (print out)
STEAM Camp: Earth Power! (Entering Grades 3-5)
Prepare to be blown away by STEAM as you explore the Earth through science, technology, engineering, art, and math. This awesome camp will teach you how to code or let you take control of a radio telescope. Get artistic as you experiment with art in nature or make your own movie. This exciting series of one-day camps will give you the power to turn water into STEAM!
|Earth’s Hidden Treasures||Online||June 29||1 Day||9:00 AM - 12:00 PM|
|Online||July 13||1 Day||9:00 AM - 12:00 PM|
|STEAM Sleuth||Online||July 1||1 Day||9:00 AM - 12:00 PM|
|Online||July 15||1 Day||9:00 AM - 12:00 PM|
Feed the birds
- Top of Form
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- help from an adult
- large mixing spoon
- hole punch (optional)
- marker, pen, or pencil
- about 12 inches of string
- red plastic disposable cup
- knife/razor blade (optional, with adult help)
- medium-sized pot or bowl
Top of Form
- a wooden skewer or sharpened pencil
- disposable straw (large enough to fit over the skewer/pencil)
- scrap paper (optional)
- paper towels
- aluminum foil
- toothpicks (optional)
- index cards, thicker paper, playing cards, or spam mail credit cards
- fan or outside wind
- string or ribbon
- small weights, such as washers or beads
- Coffee filter
Engineer an Aqueduct
- Top of Form
- empty toilet tubes, paper towel tubes, and/or wrapping paper tubes
- construction paper
- toy train tracks (optional)
- marble or other small spherical object
- Substitute Tubes for paper if needed
Code Constructors (Entering Grades 4-8)
Calling all budding Computer Scientists: VIRTUAL Code Constructors camp needs you! This week-long camp (M-F 9:00am-3:00pm) can be experienced from the comfort of your own home. Learn how to think like a programmer as you learn all about computers, from circuitry to programming. But the fun doesn’t stop there! Experiment with programming software, construct text-based programs to create your own games, digital art, and learn how to “hack” the code to always make sure you win! This awesome camp will turn you from a coding novice into a confident coder in no time.
|Code Constructors||Online||June 28 - July 2||5 Days||9:00 AM - 3:00 PM|
|Code Constructors||Online||July 12 - July 16||5 Days||9:00 AM - 3:00 PM|
|Code Constructors||Online||July 26 - July 30||5 Days||9:00 AM - 3:00 PM|
- Computer (activities are more accessible when using a computer rather than tablet or iPad).
- Internet Connection
- Writing Utensils
- Coloring Supplies ( Markers, colored pencils, crayons)
- https://scratch.mit.edu/ (Set-up account prior to camp to save projects)
- https://trinket.io/ (Set-up account prior to camp to save projects)