The last day to submit is December 3, 2023 between the hours of 11:00 am – 4:00 pm. We are closed on Thanksgiving day. Participants are asked to drop off submissions next to the museum exit located on the 1st floor. For further assistance, guests can contact us at 714-263-3882 (OC).
Submissions are going to be displayed from November 18, 2023 through January 7, 2023. Read here for more information.
The maximum size for the base is 30″ x 30″.
The awards ceremony is December 8, 2023 at 6:30 pm located at the Sun Stage on the 1st floor.
Science of Gingerbread
Rules and Regulations
- When submitting a registration form, please choose one Award Category and one Applicant Category.
- Participants are invited to submit their Gingerbread creations from November 18, 2023 – December 3, 2023 between the hours of 11:00am – 4:00pm (closed Thanksgiving Day).
- Participants are asked to drop off their creations near the museum exit located on the 1st floor.
- Creations must be constructed mainly of gingerbread, candies and icing. Please consider longevity when creating your structure. Discovery Cube will apply treatment to your structure once it goes on display, so it will no longer be edible after you turn it in.
- The entire visual display must be made of edible materials with the exception of the surface it is mounted upon. Non-visible interior supports of other materials are allowed.
- The gingerbread display must be mounted on a solid base, at a 30″ x 30″ maximum. Exceptions may be made under prior arrangements.
- All entries should be kid/family friendly. Discovery Cube reserves the right to not accept or remove any entries deemed inappropriate or in disrepair.
- Entries will be judged between December 6, 2023 and December 7, 2023.
- Entries will be displayed from November 18, 2023 – January 7, 2024 during the Science of Gingerbread seasonal program.
- Winners will be announced at the Gingerbread Awards ceremony and notified by phone no later than December 18, 2023.
- Pick up of entries (optional) – January 1, 2024
- For further assistance, guests can contact us at 714-263-3882 (OC).
- Each entry will receive an invite to our Gingerbread Awards ceremony (up to 4 guests per entry and additional guests may purchase tickets at $10 each). Invite only.
- December 8, 2023 at 6:30 pm located at the Sun Stage on the 1st floor.
Create a gingerbread masterpiece that captures the enchanting beauty of a Winter Wonderland. Imagine a snowy landscape, adorned with gingerbread creations that evoke the magic of the season. Whether it’s a cozy cabin nestled in the woods or a snowy village scene, this category welcomes all things wintery and whimsical.
World of Science
World of Science
Explore the fascinating connection between gingerbread and science in this category. Use your gingerbread skills to craft intricate structures, machines, or scientific experiments. From molecular gingerbread structures to edible robots, this category encourages a creative fusion of gingerbread artistry and STEM concepts, showcasing the Science of Gingerbread in a delicious and educational way.
It’s a Small World
It’s a Small World
Travel the globe with your gingerbread creations and celebrate the rich tapestry of cultural traditions. This category invites you to depict scenes, architecture, and customs from around the world, all crafted from gingerbread. Whether it’s a Japanese tea ceremony, an Italian piazza, or any other cultural tradition, bring the diversity of our planet to life through gingerbread artistry.
- By a Youth Age 5 & Under
- By a Youth Between the Ages 6-13
- By a Group (2 or more people, including organizations & youth groups)
- By a Professional Baker or Bakery